How do you do an index in Word?
How to Create and Update an Index in Word
- Select the text you want to include in the index.
- Click the References tab.
- Click the Mark Entry in the Index group.
- Adjust the index entry’s settings and choose an index entry option:
- Click the Mark or Mark All button.
- Repeat the process for your other index entries.
How do I create multiple indexes in Word 2010?
Generate Multiple Indexes in Microsoft Word Go to the Insert menu and choose Field. In the Categories column on the left, choose Indexes and Tables. In the Field names column on the right, choose Index. In the white box that starts with INDEX, type a backslash and a lowercase f, then the name for the index in quotes.
How do I link an index to a Word document?
Add the link
- Select the text or object you want to use as a hyperlink.
- Right-click and then click Hyperlink .
- Under Link to, click Place in This Document.
- In the list, select the heading or bookmark that you want to link to.
How do you add two indexes in Word?
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- Click where you want to insert the index (I added a header so you can visually distinguish between the two).
- Click the Insert tab and choose Field from the Quick Parts drop-down in the Text group.
- Choose Index in the Field Names list.
- Click Field Codes.
Is Index same as indices?
Index is one of those rare words that have two different plurals in English. “Indices” is originally a Latin plural, while “Indexes” has taken the English way of making plurals, using –s or –es. Though both are still widely used, they take on different usage in their senses.
How do I hyperlink an index in Word?
How do you add index to word?
Select a word or phrase to add to the index and click “Mark Entry” in the Index group on the References tab. Creating a complete index of a document requires marking an entry for every word you want to index, so as a shortcut to launch the the Mark Index Entry dialog, select a word and press “Alt-Shift-X.”. Change marking options.
How do you insert Index in word?
Do this: Position the insertion pointer where you want the index to appear. If you want the index to start on a new page, create a new page in Word. Choose the Insert Index button from the Index group on the References tab. The Index dialog box appears. Click the OK button to insert the index into your document.
What does index mean in Microsoft Word?
An index lists the terms and topics that are discussed in a document, along with the pages that they appear on. To create an index, you mark the index entries by providing the name of the main entry and the cross-reference in your document, and then you build the index.