How do you sort the top command on a Mac?
4 Answers. %CPU is the default sort column on every system I’ve ever used. But if it’s not, you can press Shift – P to sort by %CPU.
How do I sort top output by CPU usage?
Sorting the top output You can change that by pressing M to sort by memory usage. To reverse sort your output, press R. To return to sorting by CPU, press P.
How do I fix high CPU usage on Mac?
You can’t stop the WindowServer Mac process completely, but you can definitely lower its CPU usage:
- Close all the windows and apps you don’t need.
- Reduce Transparency in the System Preferences ➙ Accessibility ➙ Display menu.
- Delete all the extra Desktops in Mission Control.
- Restart your Mac.
Why is my CPU usage so high Mac?
Perhaps the most obvious fix for any OS-related issues is to update to the latest version of macOS. Simply launch System Preferences, click Software Update, and run any outstanding Apple software updates. Another common cause of high CPU usage by the kernel_task process is Adobe Flash.
Is Htop better than top?
Why Htop is Better Than Top Monitoring Tool It has a nicer text-graphics interface, with colored output. It is easy to use and highly configurable. Allows for scrolling process list vertically and horizontally to see all processes and complete command lines. Htop is also much faster than top.
Does Mac Have Htop?
You can install htop using the brew command and the procedure is as follows: Open the Terminal app on mac OS and type the following command. brew install htop. Start htop at the bash shell on the Mac OS or computer.
How do you sort the top command?
3 Ways to Sort by Memory in Top Command
- press shift+m after running the top command.
- sort mem usage per process in the interactive menu. More details below.
- run command top -o +%mem.
How does Htop sort CPU?
Display Processes Sorted by any htop Output Column – Press F6 or > By default htop command displays the processes sorted by CPU usage. Press F6 (or >), which will display the column names, select any one of the column, and press Enter.
How do you clear a Mac CPU?
How to reduce RAM usage on a Mac
- Tidy up your Desktop.
- Fix the Finder.
- Close or merge Finder windows.
- Stop apps starting up automatically.
- Shut web browser tabs.
- Delete browser extensions.
- Make sure you have lots of free disk space.
How do I reduce CPU usage on MacBook Air?
How can I speed up my Mac?
Here are the top ways to speed up a Mac:
- Clean up system files and documents. A clean Mac is a fast Mac.
- Detect & Kill Demanding Processes.
- Speed up startup time: Manage startup programs.
- Remove unused apps.
- Run a macOS system update.
- Upgrade your RAM.
- Swap your HDD for an SSD.
- Reduce Visual Effects.