How do you structure a book club discussion?
What to Do Before the Meeting
- Read the book.
- Write down important page numbers (or bookmark in your e-reader).
- Come up with eight to ten questions about the book.
- Let others answer first.
- Make connections between comments.
- Occasionally direct questions toward quiet people.
- Rein in tangents.
What should I look for when reading a book?
Consider these tips to reading a novel effectively:
- Read for comprehension. This is always the goal when we read anything.
- Pay attention to repetition.
- Read with themes in mind.
- Know your literary elements.
- Watch for interpretations when reading a novel.
What is average reader?
Average readers are the majority and only reach around 200 wpm with a typical comprehension of 60%. Reading efficiency is reading speed weighted by comprehension rate and it amounts to 200 x 60% or 120 efficient words per minute (ewpm) for the average reader and to 1000 x 85% or 850 ewpm for top readers.
What is the best question to ask an author?
Suggested Author Interview Questions
- When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
- How long does it take you to write a book?
- What is your work schedule like when you’re writing?
- What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
- How do books get published?
- Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
What do you do before reading a book?
5 things you should do before reading a book
- Psych yourself up. If you’ve personally selected the book you’re about to read, you’re likely already looking forward to cracking it open.
- Understand the context.
- Learn something about the author.
- Make a reading schedule.
- Make a Character List.
How do you come up with good book club questions?
General Book Club Questions
- What was your favorite part of the book?
- What was your least favorite?
- Did you race to the end, or was it more of a slow burn?
- Which scene has stuck with you the most?
- What did you think of the writing?
- Did you reread any passages?
- Would you want to read another book by this author?
What are some good book club questions?
General Book Club Questions
- What is the significance of the title?
- Would you have given the book a different title?
- What were the main themes of the book?
- What did you think of the writing style and content structure of the book?
- How important was the time period or the setting to the story?
How do you get children to read books?
Try these tips to encourage your child to read — and hopefully build a love of reading.
- Read it again and again.
- Make reading real.
- Don’t leave home without something to read.
- Dig deeper into the story.
- Make reading a free-time activity.
- Take your time.
- Pick books at the right level.
- Play word games.