What are the causes effects and solutions of overpopulation?
Overpopulation: Causes, Effects and Solutions. More people means more production, consumption, and destruction of nature. In order to supply shelter to the growing population, forests are being cut down rapidly and production has been increased by destroying the soil quality.
How many animals have existed?
More than 99 percent of all species, amounting to over five billion species, that ever lived on Earth are estimated to be extinct. Estimates on the number of Earth’s current species range from 10 million to 14 million, of which about 1.2 million have been documented and over 86 percent have not yet been described.
Why is China overpopulated?
Overpopulation in China began after World War II in 1949, when Chinese families were encouraged to have as many children as possible in hopes of bringing more money to the country, building a better army, and producing more food.
What is the dangerous increase in population called?
Human overpopulation, continued population growth, and overconsumption are the primary drivers of biodiversity loss and the 6th (and ongoing) mass species extinction. Present extinction rates may be as high as 140,000 species lost per year due to human activity.
What are the major causes of overpopulation?
The Causes of Overpopulation
- Falling Mortality Rate. The primary (and perhaps most obvious) cause of population growth is an imbalance between births and deaths.
- Underutilized Contraception.
- Lack of Female Education.
- Ecological Degradation.
- Increased Conflicts.
- Higher Risk of Disasters and Pandemics.
What are some solutions to overpopulation?
Actions on the national level
- Generously fund family planning programs.
- Make modern contraception legal, free and available everywhere, even in remote areas.
- Improve health care to reduce infant and child mortality.
- Restrict child marriage and raise the legal age of marriage (minimum 18 years)