What does persistent mean?
1 : existing for a long or longer than usual time or continuously: such as. a : retained beyond the usual period a persistent leaf. b : continuing without change in function or structure persistent gills.
How do you use prolixity in a sentence?
Prolixity sentence example
- His speeches were apt to be prolix, and he defended their prolixity on principle (i.
- His prolixity was increased by his unwillingness, when writing without prescribed limits, to leave out any detail, however unimportant.
How do you know a sentence is wordy?
Identifying and addressing wordiness in sentences
- Eliminate redundant pairs.
- Delete unnecessary qualifiers.
- Identify and reduce prepositional phrases.
- Locate and delete unnecessary modifiers.
- Replace a phrase with a word.
- Identify negatives and change them to affirmatives.
What does loquacious mean?
Loquacious is an adjective we use to describe someone who talks easily, fluently, and a lot.
How do you use inscribe in a sentence?
Inscribe in a Sentence 🔉
- Jake asked the jeweler to inscribe a beautiful message on the engagement ring.
- Using a knife, the boy tried to inscribe his name onto the metal table.
- It will take the machine only a few minutes to inscribe the words on the plaque.
What are wordy words?
wordy, verbose, prolix, diffuse mean using more words than necessary to express thought. wordy may also imply loquaciousness or garrulity. a wordy speech verbose suggests a resulting dullness, obscurity, or lack of incisiveness or precision.
Is wordy a real word?
Wordy, prolix, redundant, pleonastic all mean using more words than necessary to convey a desired meaning. Wordy, the broadest and least specific of these terms, may, in addition to indicating an excess of words, suggest a garrulousness or loquaciousness: a wordy, gossipy account of a simple incident.
What does prolix mean in English?
1 : unduly prolonged or drawn out : too long.
How do you use inscription in a sentence?
Inscription in a Sentence 🔉
- The painting looked like a real one but the inscription on the back proved it was a fake.
- Each letter had an inscription with writing partly in English and also in French.
- Native American hunters carved their inscription and a few pictures into the soft clay.
How do you avoid wordy in a sentence?
How to Avoid Wordiness
- Cut Adjectives and Adverbs. This is something Ernest Hemingway became famous for.
- Eliminate Redundant Words and Phrases.
- Don’t Use Unnecessary Prepositions.
- Avoid Passive Voice.
- Use Simple Past/Present Instead of Present/Past Perfect and Present/Past Continuous.
How do you fix a wordy sentence?
Together, these changes create a stronger, more concise sentence.
- Use the Key Noun.
- Use Active Voice rather than Passive Voice Verbs.
- Avoid Unnecessary Language.
- Use Nouns rather than Vague Pronouns as Subjects.
- Use Verbs rather than Nouns to Express Action.
- Avoid a String of Prepositional Phrases.
How do I fix intricate text on Grammarly?
By splitting long sentences into shorter ones, you can both get rid of the error and write a clearer sentence. If you’re seeing this warning under a specific word, like “they” or “this” or “that,” the best thing to do is try to rephrase the writing to avoid that word.
What does topography mean?
1a : the art or practice of graphic delineation in detail usually on maps or charts of natural and man-made features of a place or region especially in a way to show their relative positions and elevations.
What is wordy expression?
A redundant expression says the same thing twice, and doublespeak avoids getting directly to the point. Both are examples of wordy expressions. Other such expressions use more than one word when one word is simpler and more direct—for example, using the phrase in the vicinity of instead of near.
What does the word inscribe mean?
transitive verb. 1a : to write, engrave, or print as a lasting record.
How do you say something is too wordy?
What does wordy sentence mean in Grammarly?
Wordy sentences use too many useless words that clutter writing. Good writing is simple and direct; it uses the simplest word possible that conveys the same meaning. If you can remove a word while keeping the sentence’s meaning, the sentence is wordy.
Is wordy a formal word?
If you describe a person’s speech or something that they write as wordy, you disapprove of the fact that they use too many words, especially words which are very long, formal, or literary. The chapter is mostly wordy rhetoric. Collins!
What does protracted mean?
transitive verb. 1 : to prolong in time or space : continue. 2 : to extend forward or outward — compare retract sense 1.
What is a protracted illness?
protracted means longer lasting than expected or than average. It could mean that the Illness is intense/long lasting, or hard to cure. A protracted illness usually lasts more than a month and may be severe.